10 things to know for Monday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. GUNMAN TAKES HOSTAGES IN SYDNEY CAFE
Five people have managed to escape from the crisis in the heart of the city's business district while police negotiate with the gunman.
2. HOW WASHINGTON FOUND ITSELF IN A MIDEAST BIND
The U.S. risks alienating European and Arab allies if it vetoes an upcoming UN resolution that would set a two-year timetable for achieving peace between Israel and the Palestinians.
3. WHAT FRIENDS SAY ABOUT STORY ON UVA WOMAN'S RAPE ACCUSATION
They tell The Associated Press that a magazine article that used the woman's account of a sexual assault at a University of Virginia frat house was wrong on key points.
4. PHILIPPINE AUTHORITIES CHARGE US MARINE WITH MURDER
Prosecutor says the 19-year-old American is accused of killing a transgender in a hotel room.
5. POLICE CLOSE LAST PROTEST SITE IN HONG KONG
Ten weeks after the pro-democracy movement started its demonstrations, authorities have cleared the only remaining camp in the Asian financial hub.
6. WHERE MACADAMIA NUTS ARE ALL THE RAGE
Sales are skyrocketing in South Korea days after the Korean Air Lines executive's "nut rage" episode sparked national outrage.
7. STALLING TACTICS, GOP MAJORITIES COULD VEX CONGRESS IN 2015
Republicans will feel new pressures to show they can deliver, and President Obama's incentives to veto legislation will add uncertainty to the mix.
8. WHO SEEKS PROSECUTIONS OVER CIA INTERROGATION TACTICS
Civil rights groups in the U.S. and abroad renew calls to charge those in government agencies who relied on harsh techniques to pressure terror suspects.
9. WHY SOME CANCER PATIENTS TEST TREATMENTS ON PERSONAL MICE
They pay private labs to breed mice that carry bits of their own tumors so treatments can be tried first on the customized rodents.
10. BRONCOS CAPTURE 4TH-STRAIGHT AFC WEST TITLE
Sick with flu-like symptoms, Peyton Manning takes four bags of intravenous fluid and leads Denver to a 22-10 win over the Chargers.