10 things to know for Tuesday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. COURT HALTS OBAMA MOVE ON IMMIGRATION
A federal judge is allowing a lawsuit by 26 states against the president's executive order to proceed, derailing plans that could spare up to five million people from deportation; White House says Justice Department will appeal.
2. DEADLINE PASSES FOR HEAVY ARMS PULLOUT FROM EASTERN UKRAINE
Ukrainian government troops and pro-Russian rebels fail to pull back the agreed weaponry from the front line.
3. SUSPECTEDED DENMARK GUNMAN RECENTLY RELEASED FROM JAIL
The man thought responsible for Copenhagen's deadly shooting attacks was released about two weeks ago and might have become radicalized there last summer, a source tells The Associated Press.
4. HOW THE GOP SUDDENLY FINDS ITSELF IN A BIND
Calls for increasing the defense budget are challenging Republicans who are divided over how to steer more money to the Pentagon without piling onto the deficit.
5. EGYPT CALLS FOR UN COALITION TO FIGHT IN LIBYA
The Egyptian president tells French radio that his country's airstrikes against the Islamic State were in self-defense.
6. ON THE MENU FOR CHINESE NEW YEAR: MAINE LOBSTER
The steamed, whole crustacean is now a symbol not only of good-luck for the rising middle class china, but also of their new-found prosperity.
7. STATEHOOD ANNIVERSARY HITS SOUR TIMES IN KOSOVO
Seven years ago, jubilant Kosovars rejoiced in their independence from Serbia. Today, thousands are fleeing the young nation that many have given up on.
8. HAND-DRAWN ANIMATED FILM STANDS APART IN OSCARS RACE
Japan's pastel-colored "Tale of The Princess Kaguya" is a stylistic challenge to Hollywood's computer-generated fare.
9. WHY LOS ANGELES AIRPORT PASSENGERS GOT INTO A PANIC
About 20 passengers fled through emergency doors and onto the tarmac at a Los Angeles International Airport terminal after someone mistakenly said that an armed man was on the loose.
10. WHICH DOG HAS FRIENDS IN HIGH PLACES
The early favorite at the Westminster Kennel Club is a Portuguese water dog named Matisse who's a cousin of President Barack Obama's pet Sunny.