Former Steve Miller Band house added to National Register of Historic Places
A house built in 1951 near Williams by a pair of archeologists and owned in the mid-1970s and '80s by the Steve Miller Band has been added to the National Register of Historic Places, according to a press release issued today by the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department.
The 400-plus-acre property is owned by Pacifica: A Garden in the Siskiyous, a nonprofit foundation that operates the property as a nature center, botanical garden, school and community center.
The William J. and Sarah Wagner Lippincott House is a Modern-style, single-family house designed by architect Winifred Scott Wellington, a faculty member at University of California, Berkeley.
The Lippincotts, who were both archaeologists, relocated to Oregon from the Southwest, where they had run a trading post and championed the arts of the Navajo Indians. When they purchased the property in 1948, it consisted of an 800-acre ranch. They hired Wellington, who had designed an addition to Wide Ruins, their trading post. He utilized Northwest woods and Arizona stone in the design of the house. The 4,600-square-foot, single-story house is considered one of the finest examples of post-World War II Contemporary or Modern-style architectural design in Southern Oregon and a rare example in Josephine County, the release said.
The Lippincotts returned to the Southwest in the early 1950s and the property, at 14601 Watergap Road, was purchased by Edwin N. and Bonnie Lippert, who continued ranching operations. The property was owned by Steve Miller of the Steve Miller Band from 1976 to 1986, who built a recording studio there.
Oregon's State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation recommended the building's nomination in its February 2015 meeting. It is one of 59 individual historic properties in Josephine County that are now listed on the National Register, and the only Modern residence. The National Register is maintained by the National Park Service under the authority of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.
More information about the National Register and recent Oregon listings is online at www.oregonheritage.org (click on "National Register" at left of page).