fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Smoky Medford fire sends residents scurrying in seven-story building

A basement dryer fire sent smoke billowing into the floors above it in a seven-story apartment building in Medford this afternoon, prompting some residents to evacuate and firefighters to strap on oxygen masks before clearing the air.

The fire at 235 S. Oakdale Ave. was quickly extinguished, but not before sending smoke into the common areas of the building, including the lobby and hallways, said Medford Fire-Rescue Chief Brian Fish. About 20 people evacuated the building; other residents were told to stay inside with their doors and windows locked so the smoke wouldn't penetrate their rooms, Fish said.

No one was injured in the incident, which was reported at 3:35 p.m. Crews expected to work for the next 30 minutes to clear the building, Fish said.

Firefighters work to clear a residential building of smoke after a clothes dryer caught fire Monday on the corner of South Oakdale Avenue and West 10th Street. Mail Tribune/ Denise Baratta