10 things to know for Thursday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. BRAZIL'S SENATE IMPEACHES PRESIDENT ROUSSEFF
The South American giant's first female president is accused of using accounting tricks to hide large budget deficits.
2. WHAT TRUMP AND RYAN HAVE TO SAY TO ONE ANOTHER
The likely GOP presidential nominee and House speaker sit down face-to-face for the first time, a week after Ryan stunned his party by refusing to back the mercurial billionaire for the White House.
3. MALAYSIA: 2 MORE PIECES 'ALMOST CERTAINLY' FROM FLIGHT 370
The debris, discovered in South Africa and Rodrigues Island off Mauritius, brings the total number of parts believed to have come from the missing Malaysian jetliner to five.
4. SECOND TRIAL IN FREDDIE GRAY CASE GETS UNDER WAY
The trial for Officer Edward Nero, who faces assault, misconduct in office and reckless endangerment charges, goes before a judge, giving it a better chance of ending with a verdict.
5. TEXAS PLANT EXPLOSION CALLED 'CRIMINAL ACT'
Federal officials' announcement that arson caused a massive explosion at a fertilizer plant in 2013 has residents of West wondering who might have done it and why.
6. HOW NEW HAMPSHIRE IS DEALING WITH POLICE PURSUIT CASE
The governor is calling for an investigation into the use of force by police after video surfaced of officers appearing to pummel a suspect who had led them on a high-speed chase from Massachusetts to New Hampshire.
7. WHY RUSSIA IS INFURIATED BY LATEST MOVE FROM THE WEST
A U.S. missile defense site in Romania aimed at protecting Europe from ballistic missile threats is set to become operational, angering Moscow which opposes having the advanced military system in its former area of influence.
8. WHO IS AUCTIONING GUN USED TO KLLL TRAYVON MARTIN
George Zimmerman, the former neighborhood watch volunteer, tells a Florida TV station that his motivation for selling it was that it was "time to move past the firearm."
9. WHERE GEORGE CARLIN COLLECTION IS HEADED
Items belonging to the late comedian are getting a new home in upstate New York.
10. WHAT WASHINGTON'S $210 MILLION MAN ACCOMPLISHED
Max Scherzer struck out 20 batters to match the major league record for a nine-inning game in the Nationals' 3-2 victory over the Detroit Tigers.