Homeowner grinding metal, transient camp spark grass fires
Grass fires in a rural residential area and next to an RV lot kept Medford area fire crews busy this morning.
At 10:49 a.m., crews responded to a grass fire in the 2200 block of Skyview Drive, not far from Griffin Creek Elementary School.
The fire spread to 1.7 acres, according to Medford Fire-Rescue battalion chief Jason John, but didn't harm any structures. Jacksonville, Jackson County Fire District 5 and the Oregon Department of Forestry helped douse the flames.
The fire had been contained as of 1 p.m., but crews remained on scene for mop-up, John said.
John said the fire in the rural residential area was caused by sparks generated from a property owner grinding metal.
"That draws sparks everywhere," John said.
Fire season regulations put into effect Thursday prohibit chainsaw use, mowing of dry and dead grass with power equipment and grinding and welding metal between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.
Because there was no damage and the fire was accidental, the resident won't face citations or costs from the fire response.
“People aren’t usually cited in events like that,” John said.
A second fire sparked at 11:57 a.m. on Chevy Way behind Triple A RV Center, John said. Fire District 3 took the lead on the response. The fire reached a quarter of an acre, primarily near the Bear Creek Greenway, and was contained before 1 p.m.
"They got it under control pretty quick," John said.
The cause was an unattended transient campfire, according to Fire District 3 battalion chief Mike Calhoun.
Reach reporter Nick Morgan at 541-776-4471 or email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter at @MTCrimeBeat.