fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Four dogs rescued from Central Point fire

Four dogs were rescued Wednesday from a manufactured home fire in Central Point that drew agencies from across the valley and required water to be trucked in to fight the flames.

The fire, at 6270 Crater Lake Ave., was reported about 3:30 p.m., according to Jackson County Fire District 3 spokeswoman Ashley Blakely. Crews arrived to find a double-wide trailer aflame that had burned to the ground by 5 p.m. The trailer sat on the same lot as Economy Plywood, according to company Manager Jean Heyden.

Within eight minutes of the call, crews from Medford Fire-Rescue, Jacksonville Fire Department, District 3 and the Oregon Department of Forestry battled 10-foot flames in the hot, dry weather. The fire sent up a plume of black smoke visible from downtown Medford as it spread to two recreational vehicles and an accessory garage. 

The occupant of the trailer wasn't inside when the fire broke out, according to Heyden, who said the tenant contacted her after calling 911. Heyden didn't know how the fire started, but she said there had been overgrown grass near the trailer.

Though nearby trailers were damaged in the fire, the garage saw damage only to the roof. Fire also spread to an adjacent vehicle, according to Blakely. 

Jackson County Animal Control said the dogs that were rescued from the flames were taken to a local veterinarian. 

The fire was contained by 4:45 p.m., though crews expected to remain on scene for much of the night doing mop-up, according to Blakely. She said that protecting flammable items near the fire — such as trailers, lumber and propane tanks — was a priority in the dry conditions.

— Reach reporter Nick Morgan at 541-776-4471 or nmorgan@mailtribune.com. Follow him on Twitter at @MTCrimeBeat.

Fire crews battle a trailer fire Wednesday at 6270 Crater Lake Ave., Central Point. [Mail Tribune / Jamie Lusch]