fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Sex offender arrested in Shady Cove deer-wounding case

A convicted sex offender was arrested Friday on felony animal-abuse and other charges for allegedly wounding two black-tailed deer that survived being shot in the head and neck with target arrows.

A three-month investigation, fueled by community tips and a $2,600 reward, led Oregon State Police to Daniel Dwayne Logsdon, 36, of the Shady Cove area, according to OSP.

Logsdon was cited and released on a felony charge of first-degree aggravated animal abuse as well as misdemeanor charges of unlawful take of antlerless deer and failure to report accurate information as a sex offender.

Logsdon is accused of shooting two blacktail does in late April with old-style arrows with practice tips. One deer was shot in the head and mouth, and the other through its neck, in what OSP Fish and Wildlife Divison Sgt. Jim Collom called malicious.

The deer were seen by several people in the Mason Way area with the arrows protruding from their bodies. OSP troopers and Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife biologists were able to capture, sedate and successfully remove the arrows before freeing the animals.

The arrows, which did not have hunting broadheads on them, did not strike any vital organs, and the deer were expected to recover.

“It fits the definition of aggravated animal abuse,” Collom said. “This isn’t a hunter who wounded an animal. He’s never had a hunting license. He didn’t attempt to retrieve the animals.

“These were city deer that you could drive up to, almost walk up to,” Collom said.

The case drew national interest after police posted photos online of the deer with arrows sticking out of their head and neck, generating $2,600 in donations to a reward fund.

Collom said Logsdon, who lived in the area, was one of more than a dozen people he contacted in early May while trying to find the wounded deer.

Several tips pointed to Logsdon, who was interviewed and cited Friday during his scheduled visit with his probation officer in Medford, Collom said.

No search warrants were issued in the case, and Logsdon did not admit to wounding the deer, Collom said.

Logsdon was convicted in 2004 on two separate sex offenses that occurred three days apart in 2004, court records show.

In one case he was convicted on a single count of third-degree rape for having sexual intercourse with a girl younger than 16 years old, court records show. In the other case, he was convicted of second-degree sexual abuse for having intercourse with a woman who did not consent, according to the indictment.

Logsdon received probation in both cases.

Logsdon also has a 2009 conviction for third-degree assault, a felony for which he was sentenced to 30 months in prison, court records show. Logsdon pleaded guilty in July 2017 to a single count of failing to report as a sex offender and was placed on two years probation.

Logsdon pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit a Class C felony involving a stabbing during a fight in Hawthorne Park in May 2009, records show.

He also had a July 13 hearing scheduled to change his plea in an ongoing second-degree theft case for allegedly shoplifting merchandise worth more than $100 from the Walmart store in Eagle Point, court records show.

Reach Mail Tribune reporter Mark Freeman at 541-776-4470 or mfreeman@rosebudmedia.com. Follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/MTwriterFreeman.

OSP photoOne of at least two deer in the Shady Cove area that survived after being struck with an arrow.
ODFW PHOTOAn ODFW wildlife biologist works{ } to remove an arrow shot illegally through a deer in Shady Cove. Two deer were shot with arrows in late April. The arrows were removed from both, and the deer are recovering, biologists said.