Mail Tribune 100, Aug. 24, 1918
The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.
Aug. 24, 1918
MEDFORD UNIT OFFICERS TRAINING SCHOOL ORGANIZES
Enthusiasm was the marked feature of the first meeting of the Medford unit of the University of Oregon officer’s training school, held in the Knights of Pythias hall Friday evening. It was evident from the opening of the meeting to the close that every man in the hall was there with the earnest intention of devoting himself to thoroughly mastering the course of instruction offered by the university, and of utilizing the knowledge gained through the work in the service of his country whenever the occasion shall arise for taking his place in the ranks of the nation’s defenders.
The meeting was opened and conducted by the state representatives of the university, C. M. Thomas and Alan Brackenreed. Mr. Thomas’s opening remarks, which were brief, and devoted to the point of impressing upon the members the fact that the school is a business proposition on the part of the university, referred to the proposed extension of the draft, and the pressure of the application upon the university for admission to the officers’ summer training camps, coupled with the fact that many business and professional men in the state who would otherwise take advantage of the opportunities afforded at Eugene, were so situated that they could not leave their business or professional practice for the length of time demanded by the course there, and that the university had thereupon decided to carry its services to the various communities in the state where organizations could be formed for the purpose of receiving instruction in the military sciences, and that for the purpose of carrying on the work of forming these organizations the faculty had appointed himself and Mr. Brackinreed to serve as its representatives in the field throughout the state.
Mr. Brackinreed’s remarks were directed toward impressing upon the members that they were expected to consider themselves, as the faculty would consider them, students of the university in every sense of the word, and that the university’s interest in their studies and the discipline maintained in the organization was intended to be as complete and thorough as though they were pursuing their courses in residence at Eugene, that the course offered was far more than the usual extension study courses offered by similar institutions of learning in academic branches, inasmuch as the members would be continually under the eye of different instructor furnished by the university, and every effect would be made to convert the local meeting places into actual school rooms.
For more stories like this, check out “The Archive,” a weekly podcast series at mailtribune.com/podcasts