fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Here's where to ditch your yesteryear computer

I am in the process of moving. I have two computer towers that are about 10 years old that I no longer use and need to get rid of. Is there some organization that I can donate these to, or shall I (can I) just break them down and dispose of them in the trash?

— Carl, in Medford for now

We’re glad you asked us this question, Carl, and it’s one that we at Since You Asked World Headquarters could use a refresher on. A number of us have dusty old computer towers to deal with, too.

Your out-of-date computer parts don’t belong in a landfill, as many contain hazardous materials than can contaminate the earth. Laura Leebrick with Rogue Disposal told us that you can bring your old computer out to the transfer station at 8001 Table Rock Road in White City and drop it off for recycling free of charge. Along with your two computer towers, you could bring in one visit up to five other electronics, such as TVs, desktop printers and other computer accessories.

Rogue Disposal’s website now includes a feature on its homepage where you can search for information on disposal of specific items. You’ll find it a www.roguedisposal.com.

Broken down or not, a desktop computer is not allowed to be tossed in a curbside trash cart.

And don’t bring your old computers to any of the Southern Oregon Goodwill locations, either — that program ended last September. The organization’s website at www.sogoodwill.org/donate/recycle-e-waste/ lists locations around the Rogue Valley where you can potentially drop off e-waste.

In Medford, Best Buy is another option. If you are having a new electronic device delivered to your (soon-to-be former) home, they may pick up yours. Otherwise, you can drop it off at the store, 2370 Poplar Drive, Medford, but you may have to pay $25 depending on what you’re dropping off.

Before that, you may want to wipe your hard drive to protect any personal information from financial documents or other forms you may have saved there. The Federal Trade Commission has information on your options to do this, at www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0010-disposing-old-computers

We here at SYA want to wish you luck on the move and we hope that wherever you’re going, the news will still have a way to get your questions answered.

Send questions to “Since You Asked,” Mail Tribune Newsroom, P.O. Box 1108, Medford, OR 97501; by fax to 541-776-4376; or by email to youasked@rosebudmedia.com. We’re sorry, but the volume of questions received prevents us from answering all of them.