'First Day' hikes offered at six local parks
Six free, guided hikes — plus two bike rides — are being offered on New Year’s Day in local state parks as part of the annual First Day Hikes program.
Across the state, 37 hikes are being offered at 31 parks, according to a news release from Oregon State Parks.
Southern Oregon offerings include:
- Collier Memorial State Park, north of Chiloquin. Meet for a 3-mile hike at the Collier Logging Museum, 46000 Highway 97, at 9 a.m.
- Golden State Heritage Site, east of Wolf Creek. Meet for a 1-mile at the Historic Church, off Coyote Creek Road, at 1 p.m.
- Illinois River Forks State Park, southwest of Cave Junction. Meet for a 1-mile hike at the West Fork trailhead at 11 a.m.
- Joseph H. Stewart State Recreation Area at Lost Creek Lake. Meet for a 3-mile hike at the group camp at 9 a.m.
- TouVelle State Recreation Area, west of White City. Meet for a 1-mile hike at the day-use area off Table Rock Road at 11 a.m.
- Valley of the Rogue State Park, southeast of Rogue River, will offer one hike and two bike rides, with all beginning at 1 p.m. Participants can meet at the park amphitheater for a 1-mile hike. The bike rides will meet at Del Rio Vineyards, 52 N. River Road, or the Rogue River Bridge at the city of Rogue River.
Parking fees at participating parks are waived during the annual event, which began in 2012.
Call 1-800-551-6949 or see oregonstateparks.org for more information.