fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

A copy of your passport could come in handy

Through a recent Since You Asked column we learned that in Oregon making copies of driver’s licenses are illegal. Does the same law apply to U.S. passports? Travel agents often suggest that travelers carry copies of their passports in case their real ones are lost or stolen.

— Larry, Jacksonville

Go ahead and follow your travel agent’s advice, Larry.

The U.S. Department of State recommends that travelers copy the information page of their passport before heading out on international trips.

Bring the copy with you, just don’t keep it in the same place as your original passport in case it gets lost or stolen. As a backup, take a photo of your original passport or scan it in, then email yourself a copy of the image so you have an electronic version that you can retrieve.

The State Department recommends also keeping two extra passport photos with the copy of your passport.

If your passport is lost or stolen while you’re in another country, contact an American consulate or embassy to start the process of replacing your passport. Having a copy of your passport and the extra passport photos will make the process easier.

Send questions to “Since You Asked,” Mail Tribune Newsroom, P.O. Box 1108, Medford, OR 97501; by fax to 541-776-4376; or by email to youasked@rosebudmedia.com. We’re sorry, but the volume of questions received prevents us from answering all of them.