fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Dryer fire at White City retirement facility displaces 27 disabled seniors

All were moved into local motel, with staff to care for them

A dryer fire in the laundry room of Laurel Pines Retirement Lodge, an assisted living community located at 3100 Avenue A in White City, has resulted in 27 residents having to be moved to a nearby motel, according to Jackson County Fire District 3.

The fire was reported at 3:30 p.m. Saturday and 21 firefighters from JCFD 3 and the Medford Fire Department, four engine crews and a fire marshal, responded.

Volunteers from the Red Cross were also providing support.

Battalion Chief Jeff Bancroft, JCFD 3, said a clothes dryer malfunction caused the fire, which spread smoke through both wings of the facility. And a heavy amount of water accumulated in the wing where the laundry room is located and some water reached the other wing.

Staff of the facility had evacuated most of the people at the location by the time fire personnel began arriving.

Staff of the retirement home will be at the motel to take care of the displaced, disabled seniors Bancroft emphasized.

An attempt to contact a manager of the facility for details was unsuccessful Saturday evening.