Street party highlights Third Friday art walk
New sidewalks, street pavers and light posts along Bartlett Street and Theater Alley will be the toast of the Third Friday art walk on Feb. 20 in downtown Medford. Merchants and galleries such as Rogue Gallery, Yesterday's Blossoms, Lawrence Jewelers and others will celebrate Medford Urban Renewal Agency's completion of its newest street projects, and MURA will host a party in Theater Alley from 5 to 8 p.m.
The party will feature talks by Mayor Gary Wheeler, MURA board chairman Greg Yechout and Bob Lee of Main Street Properties, along with a ribbon-cutting ceremony and food and beverages catered by Grilla Bites and Cork's Wine Bar and Shoppe. Ann Horton and Friends will perform classic jazz and Ring of Trees will perform eclectic rock and folk music.
Medford's downtown galleries and shops stay open late during the art walks to offer looks at new work by regional artists. Here's a list of things to see.
- Chinese proverbs and art to celebrate the Chinese New Year will be at Art du Jour Gallery, 320 Middleford Alley. Art du Jour is a cooperative of artists that includes Betty Bangs, Millie Clarke, Jennifer Eufusia, Margo Garnett, Edna Hanscom, Ruth Heath, Judy Hubler, Yvonne Kitchen, Ginny Matheson, Margery Mercer, Lori Paxton, Carol Preston, Ruth Schubert, Carol Sharp, Carol O'Stavick, Shari O'Neal Young and Dick Woods. Many of the artists will be on hand during the art walk, and refreshments will be served. See artdujourgallery.com or call 770-3190.
- "True to Form," an exhibit of bronze and marble sculpture by Phoenix artist Marla Samuel and three-dimensional paintings by Vince Carl of Wimer, will be at the Rogue Gallery & Art Center, 40 S. Bartlett St. Refreshments will be served from 5 to 8 p.m. See roguegallery.org or call 772-8118.
- Expressionistic paintings by Miles Frode, mixed media and collage by Ginny Matheson and watercolor paintings by Lee Hilton will be at Grilla Bites, 226 E. Main St. Call 245-9802.
- Works by 10 artists will be at Yesterday's Blossoms, 275 Theater Alley. There will be paintings in oil, acrylic and watercolor by Isabelle Alzado; photographs by Mary Lorenze; impressionistic art by Jenny Breren; multicultural art and drums by John and Jeanne Fry of Conscious Art Studios; mixed media by Shayla Smith; expressionist paintings in acrylics by Larry Safley; fine art prints by Rick Hazen; three-dimensional paintings by Daniel Russell; and assemblages by Beth Powell. Call 772-3484.
- Paintings in acrylic with Old World themes by Paul Bunch and photography by Sid Field will be at Facets Jewelry Studio, 301 E. Main St. Call 734-0930.
- A variety of media by seven artists, including Ellen Trenholm, Rita McKinney, Linda Frances, Jan Accord, Karen Whalen and Gloria Stephens, will be at Molly Reed, 237 E. Main St. Call 770-7103.
- Scherenschnitte, or the German art of paper-cutting, by Mirjan Schnorr will be at Lawrence's Jewelers, 232 E. Main St.
- Photography by Ken Deal will be at Corks Wine Bar and Bottle Shop, 235 Theater Alley. Call 245-1616.
- Local artists will display work in the studio at Central Art Supply, 101 N. Central Ave. Call 773-1444.
- Jewelry by Melanie Cook and Lori Lantz of Cosmic Poppy Designs will be at Lotus, 10 N. Central Ave. Call 858-8177.
Street buskers will be performing in Theater Alley, between Yesterday's Blossoms and the Rogue Gallery.
- Paintings in oil on canvas will be at Gervais Day Spa and Salon, 111 N. Central Ave. Call 779-7100.
- Handcrafted jewelry by Gabriella Vigh will be at Schroeder's Furniture, 220 E. Main St. Call 779-9991.
- Artwork from Studio Sfumato will be at Rapid Refill Ink, 218 E. Main St. Call 776-5015.
- Rick Fjellman and others will recite poetry at Suzanne's, 30 N. Central Ave., Call 618-9182.
Other downtown merchants that stay open late to support the art walk include Bartlett Street Bookstore, 16 S. Bartlett St.; Downtown Grounds Coffee Bar, 38 N. Central Ave.; Hot Pots, 217 E. Main St.; Medford Interiors, 323 E. Main St.; Dance Arts Center — home of the Medford Civic Ballet, 9 Hawthorne St.; Suzanne's Gift Garden Home, 30 N. Central Ave.; Oh's Osaka, 35 N. Central Ave.; and 38 Central Restaurant and Wine Bar, 38 Central Ave.
Theater Alley's resident fire eaters and jugglers will be on hand outside Yesterday's Blossoms, and South Stage Cellars will offer wine-tasting inside the flower shop.
Maps highlighting the participating venues are available at any of the stops along the art walk. Look for "Special Event" signs posted at galleries and shops. Parking in downtown Medford and in the parking structure on Sixth Street is free after 5 p.m. weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday.
Artists working in all media are invited to participate in the Third Friday art walks. Call 890-4940.