2009 Applegate Artisans Show and Sale
Applegate artists working in a variety of media will showcase their work in the third annual Applegate Artisans show and sale this weekend.
The event will be held from noon to 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 11, and noon to 5 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 12, in the community room of the Ruch library, 7919 Highway 238.
The work of more than 20 artists will be exhibited gallery-style, on walls, pedestals and stacking boxes.
"It's not like a craft show," said Thalia Turesdell, one of the artisans who works at the library. "It's very elegant."
Thirty percent of the profits of the sales will be donated to support the extended hours at the library. Each year the library must come up with $12,000 in order to be open 16 hours, three days a week, rather than 12 hours. Last year, through donations and artisan sales, the show raised more than $1,500 for the library.
"We are all very dedicated to keeping the library open for the full 16 hours, and we'd like to do more," Turesdell said.
This year, Turesdell will display weavings and candles she made. She wove landscape and seascape tapestries, and in her candles, she inlaid small Applegate Valley flowers in the wax. Last year, she sold more than 100 of her homemade candles at the show.
"It's a pretty eclectic array of genres here," Turesdell said.
Other artwork and items featured at the show include:
- Ceramics by Nancy Adams, Sarah Ball and Dennis Meiners
- Leather bags by Arthur Coulton
- Soaps by Mary Chaplan
- Mosaics by Mary Driver
- Photographs by Patty Drake and April Whitten
- Paintings by Leslie Lee, Leah Fanning Mebane, Jo Mendelsohn and Loren Trottman
- Garden sculptures by LilliAnn Rosenberg
- Textile art by Dan Barker
- Wreaths by Renee Thompson
- Mirrors by Marvin Rosenberg
- Gourd art by Lisa Martin
- Coffee by Asher Yaron
- Eclectic baked goods by Avara Yaron, and bread by Jo Ferneau and Rosie Demmin of RiseUp! Bakery
- Jewelry by Janis Mohr-Tipton
- CDs by singer Kristi Cowles
- Manzanita art by Gary Gustafson
The artisans will be present at different times throughout the show.